Seasonal Education Facilitator
Wonderhub brings children and families together to create, learn, play, and explore without boundaries.
Nutrien Wonderhub is currently seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic individual to join our team as a Seasonal Education Facilitator. Seasonal Education Facilitators are dedicated to providing fun activities and experiences for Nutrien Wonderhub’s Summer Wonder Camps & programs. Reporting directly to the Education Manager and with the support of a wider team of permanent Education Facilitators, Seasonal Education Facilitators are responsible for leading engaging activities while maintaining a safe and joyful environment for all Campers ages 5 to 10 and for children and families who participate in our Summer programs. Activities may include, but are not limited to, interacting with families during drop-off and pick-up, supervising Museum & outdoor exploration in small groups, participating in camp games/songs/dances, hands-on programs, supervising lunch and snack breaks with campers.
This position has the following eligibility requirements due to funding:
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or hold refugee status
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must commit to the duration of the employment term
- Must not have another job working 30 hrs. or more during the employment term
- Applicants must be 15 years of age at the beginning of the employment period. The individual may be more than 30 years of age at the end of the employment period as long as the youth was 30 at the beginning of the employment period.
- Applicants need to have completed one full year of education and be returning to school in the fall.
Duties and responsibilities
- Program & Camp Planning
a. Ensure Nutrien Wonderhub’s vision and mission are reflected in the programs (hands-on, inclusive, creative, stimulating, age-appropriate).
b. Read program briefs and help to design materials for delivering programs such as Wonder Camps, museum animations, and outdoor park programs.
c. Design activities & experiences that are high-quality, educational and engaging.
d. Provide input to the Education Manager for program & camp materials.
e. Using supplies and materials to design and create items for program delivery.
f. Read Camper provided individual camper briefs prior to the camp start date.
g. Participate in required training provided by the Education Manager & permanent Education Facilitators.
h. Manage confidential information regarding the Wonder Campers in their group (i.e. medical, emergency contacts and restrictions, etc.).
i. Attend regular team meetings.
- Program & Camp Delivery
a. Supervise and care for campers throughout the camp day – which includes drop-off, snack and lunch, educator-led activities, exploration time, and pick-up.
b. Prioritize safety of staff, campers and participants by remaining attentive to surroundings and ensuring proper health and safety protocols are being followed at all times.
c. Learn, lead, support, and participate in the hands-on programs, games, and activities.
d. Deliver programs and camp activities with the goal of engaging participants through positive energy and encouraging them to ask questions and explore materials.
e. Communicate with caregivers as required.
f. Observe campers – report concerns and be knowledgeable/aware of medical concerns regarding campers assigned to your group (asthma, allergies, etc.).
g. For off-site programs, transport materials to planned location and create a discovery space that allows children to experience a program and return materials back to Nutrien Wonderhub when program is complete.
h. Clean and organize programming supplies and space after each program.
- Program & Camp Evaluation
a. Accurately complete any incident reports that may occur and submit to Education Manager.
b. Complete all required paperwork related to the Seasonal Education Facilitator position and submit responses by deadlines.
c. Solicit and record feedback from program participants.
d. Debrief with Education Manager after programs and make improvements as needed.
e. Assist in the ongoing collection of quotes, stories, data, and photos from attendees who participated in programs for funder reporting and impact measurement/evaluation purposes.
- Other duties as required
- Energetic, friendly, outgoing, with a professional and approachable attitude.
- Experience working directly with and caring for elementary school-age children.
- Previous experience in camp or a recreational setting is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with diverse, intergenerational audiences, and work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
- Proven ability to problem-solve, think flexibly, and learn and grow from the experience.
- Strong oral communication, and ability to present to large groups.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Class 5 Driver’s License & personal transportation to and from the museum site.
- Experience leading and implementing educational experiences is an asset.
This is an 8-week Summer Student Position and applicants need to have completed one full year of education and be returning to school in the fall.
This position works 37.5 hours per week, including evenings, weekdays and weekends. The weekly schedule is based around programming needs.
This position’s wage is hourly – $16
Start Date: Monday June 26, 2023
End Date: Sunday August 20, 2023
We work with children daily to promote a sense of discovery, creativity and exploration both indoors and outside. This often involves facilitating fun in hot, cold, light, dark, quiet and loud environments. This position also typically involves extended periods physical movement such as walking, lifting, bending, kneeling and carrying items over distance. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with limitations to perform their duties.
If you feel that this position may be right for you, please submit a resume, cover letter and three professional references (including phone and email) to:
[email protected] by 11:59pm May 19, 2023
May 19, 2023
Type: Temporary Full-Time
Start Date: June 26, 2023
End Date: August 27, 2023