Volunteer and Events Coordinator
To foster creativity, curiosity, and a lifelong love of learning in children and their adults, through hands-on exhibits, programming and outreach.
Reporting to the Development Manager, the Volunteer and Events Coordinator is responsible for all the recruitment, coordination, retention, organizing and evaluation of all volunteers for Nutrien Wonderhub. As well, they assist with the planning and production of all events (fund development and programming) for Nutrien Wonderhub. This position ensures all volunteer experiences for Nutrien Wonderhub reflect the organizational strategy and mandate.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop a volunteer strategy to identify volunteer needs and once implemented, will effectively market the organization and fulfill the roles of volunteers in the organization.
- Manage volunteer applications and screen volunteers through reference calls, organizing criminal record checks and interviews.
- Orient volunteers to Nutrien Wonderhub including providing a tour, explaining processes and policies, and discussing volunteer role responsibilities.
- Provide direction and support to volunteers with a view of ensuring good working relationships between staff and volunteers and alignment with the mission of the organization.
- Work collaboratively with the Program and Outreach Coordinator and Visitor Services Coordinator to identify needs for volunteers, and the skill sets required for each role.
- Perform data entry for database, including information for volunteers and events.
- Maintain all volunteer records or files and report on volunteer statistics.
- Create a volunteer recognition program and ensure that volunteers feel valued in all communications.
- Works with operations and development team members to plan events as they relate to fund development and programming.
- Keeps abreast of trends in the industry.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The individual will have a post-secondary degree in a relevant field where they acquired a solid knowledge of effective processes for recruiting, training, coordinating, retaining and evaluating volunteers in a welcoming, effective and efficient manner as well as 2 -3 years of work experience. A combination of suitable education and experience may also be considered.
Considerable knowledge of volunteer management best practices for nonprofit organizations and working knowledge of event planning concepts is required. In addition, this individual will possess strong verbal communication skills.
The Volunteer and Events Coordinator must have a demonstrated ability to make informed and considered decision that come to logical conclusions and mitigate risk to the organization or the board.
This position is part-time (15-20 hours per week). Salary range is $18 – 22/hour.
This position will be located at Nutrien Wonderhub in Saskatoon.
This position requires working with the following equipment: POS system, computer.
Some travel within Saskatoon is required to attend meetings, community events, and learning opportunities. Occasional overnight travel may be required depending on current activities.
The operating environment is such that staff may be required to work extra hours to meet the needs of the organization. While staff need to be flexible in their work schedules, Nutrien Wonderhub is committed to providing appropriate time-in-lieu and/or compensation.
We work with children to promote a sense of discovery, creativity and exploration both indoors and outside. This sometimes involves facilitating fun in hot, cold, light, dark, gray, damp, quiet and loud environments. This position may also involve walking, lifting, bending, kneeling, driving and carrying items over distance. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform their duties.
If you feel that this position may be right for you, please submit a resume, cover letter and three professional references to: email@example.com by 5pm March 25, 2019.
March 25, 2019